Friday, March 26, 2010

Slip sliding away.


I realised I never posted anything about my ski holiday to La Plagne, France. So here goes...

I obviously survived with out major injury and we had a fantastic week. The hotel was excellently situated right on the slopes and next to a chairlift which meant we could be out of the room and on the slopes with in 5 minutes in the morning and apart form a couple of ropey days the weather was good and the snow was great.

We had gone half-board and considering the cost of the holiday the food was very good and due to it being a mainly buffet style arrangement I ate far too much in the morning and at night. Morning was a battle to restrict my croissant/toast/egg/yogurt/fruit eating to one go at each, a battle I frequently lost and in the evening my main nemesis was the desert section. Each night they had a selection of options with flan bases dominating the scene with various toppings but the main problem was the ice cream chest. That is right we had open access to 10+ flavours of ice cream. Mint-choc chip, vanilla, lemon sorbet and raspberry were regularly features with an open guest spot each night for the various other flavours. Suddenly my time at LA might have a much more obvious cause.

The skiing at La Plagne was very good with the options of many changeling blue, red and black runs. We all pushed ourselves to try higher levels than we are used to and I think it is fairly safe to say that by the end of the week most of us had taken a good number of falls, which is what a skiing holiday is all about. The highlights for me though were the Glacier and the snow parks they had available. It took us most of the week to get to the Glacier as wind higher up kept closing the one lift you could use to get there but when we did it was well worth the effort. The snow was great for off-pisting for Martin and I and Gayle and Andy had some great slopes to work down as well.


Also on the Glacier was the Ice-Grotto. This was a huge caveren that had been carved into the glacier and wher lots of very large ice sculptures were created. When we had to pay 3 euro for the priledge of entering I was unsure but I have to say it was amazing. Very well done and lighted nicely and more than a little scarry thinking that you were underneath so much ice. It was very cool to see different layers of ice and earth in the walls of the grotto as over the years the glacier had melted and frozen over again.


The snow parks were very well laid out and kitted out, with lots of jumps and course to test our 'mad' skills on. After seeing the ski-cross at the Olympics we had to have a go on those courses, not as crazy as the Olympic one but still great fun and for me the main aim of the holiday was to improve my jumping ability. There was a beginners set of jumps which actually scared be half to death but somehow we all managed to survive, if you haven't noticed yet, survival was the key word of this holiday. There were three jumps in a row all pretty tame looking until you went over them and all though the video show that only a few inches of air were achieved it felt like you were flying.

The main event though was a big adult sized jump they had set up, it was over 6ft high and at about at 45 degree angle, and what made it irresistible was the big ass air cushion they had positioned after it. What could possibly go wrong? We had been looking at this obstacle all week trying to find the nerve and then on the last day we thought sod it, lets give it a go. As I vowed to keep these blogs short and to the point I won't break down the full story but the key points are as follows, Martin and I decided to go first and after paying our nominal fee for use of the cushion we lined up with a couple of snowboarders in front of us. First person we see go down was a girl on her board who appeared quite nervous, she should have trusted her instincts. She was so nervous that when she got half way up the jump she decided to shave some speed off, big mistake. Her board dug in and as her face bounced off the top of the jump and she fell over the other side, not making the air bag we all had time to reconsider how wise this really was while the first aid team picked her and her teeth up. Her friend was next and learnt the lesson and cut speed before the jump and made a nervous little jump which I have to say I don't blame her.


Me next, now I seem to have something slightly mis-wired in my head because all I can see is an image of me acing a triple tuck mid-air spin with a graceful landing. As soon as the cushion was clear I point my skis and go, briefly hearing the guy at the start of the jump mumble something at me. No slowing down for me, I admit to great trepidation as I near what seem a wall of ice that forms the jump and I hit the jump at full whack and gracefully fly through the air arse first until I land on my back with skis in the air about one third of the way into the cushion. Not quite what I had in my head. Martin follows suit and successfully make sit to the cushion with a lot more height in his jump. When he gets off he explains to me that what the guy at the top was saying was you had to start further down the ramp where the big start flags were, not just hammer it from the get go, oopps.

Next jump Andy decides to join me, now please remember that Andy has only been skiing once before this holiday and I have never been so impressed with some ones lack of regard for life and limb as Andy. His skiing is still at the beginners stages but his willingness to have a go at what ever run we are doing is brilliant. Andy goes first on the jump this time and after having got his very long skis wedged into the start gate he makes a great effort and lands safely on the air bag. So far so good, the problem here is that now I have my ego kicking in, the male part of the brain that says "you da' man!" and "you can do it!". We had seen a few skiers go down and do some nice flips and twists and you know what, I thought "I CAN do that".

Well as it turns out, I can't. I had a good run up, launch was great, started to spin into a back flip, in my head the cheers has already started for awesome display of athleticism, that is when I landed on my head and got a ski in my face. After a second of being quite stunned, I managed to crawl off the air bag and was quite convinced I had cut my head up and was bleeding. It turns out the only damage apart from to my pride was that I had bit my tongue but hey it hurt at the time.


To be honest after the adrenaline had worn off several other aches and pains kicked in, especially my right shoulder which had taken a bump earlier in the week (cough, Gayle, cough). All in all though a well worth it experience, not something you get to do every day.

And with that it was over and so unfortunately was the holiday as well.

Well apart from a very early morning high altitude hill workout by running up through La Plagne town centre which resulted in a near asthmatic David and an iced up beard. Odd feeling that.

Brilliant ski holiday location and great company. Next year I get them to come to Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment