Monday, February 22, 2010

Back in the Homeland

Since jet lag is hitting hard with another 5 hours disappearing from my day, I will try to keep it brief today.

After gate changes, delays and false starts I finally arrived back in to the UK at 10:30am this morning a little over an hour late but all in all not a bad journey. All bags accounted for and they even came off the carousel early on so no complaints. A big thank you to Andy for turning out and fighting snow, roadworks and traffic to pick me up.

The temperature was about what it was when I left Boston but with the rain and sleet I knew I was home.

The snow on the ground in Wellingborough was already melting when we got there by midday and has continued to disappear during the afternoon. I'm hoping that it will stay gone whilst I'm back, I have a fair amount of travelling to do and could do with it honestly, no matter how pretty it might make the countryside.


After settling back in at Martin's and opening some post that has been building up since I left, with a few nasty surprises to boot, I sorted out a rental car for this week so I can get around whilst I'm back. Strange, I actually miss the Skytrain.

The car has proved to be a little bit of fun for me, twice getting into the wrong door then revving very loudly and trying to ram it into first gear with out using the clutch, but these issues got quickly sorted out under the very worried looking gaze of the rental agent. The thing that I am really having to concentrate on is which side of the road to be on. The Brits may not want to hear this but it just feels more natural to drive on the right. The main problem is when you first start of each time, I just tend to head off on instinct and have to make a quick adjustment under the glare of oncoming drivers. It's all good honestly.

With car sorted and under control I headed over to my sister's house for a fantastic roast dinner where I was able to catch up on gossip and to get up to date with my Mum's latest quiz questions she is stuck on. unfortunately tiredness was taking its toll and I had to leave too soon. With a quick trip to Tesco (Equiv. Safeway) for some essentials I was back to the house where I was greeted with the awesome smell of fresh baked biscuits that Martin had decided to make. not to be ungracious I quickly ate my fair share / body weight to show my enthusiasm for them.

Tomorrow I'm off up North (it's grim there) to visit my bosses farm and to get on with one of the major reasons for coming back, work. I don't think I will be posting tomorrow night as I'm staying over there and it seems rude to disappear halfway through the night to my blog but I will do an update on Wednesday.

A side note, anyone who has seen me recently may have noticed my attempt to grow facial hair. I have been in Beardwars with Martin, with neither of us shaving since January 1st. Those that know us will quickly realise that I was the underdog in this race and getting back to day quickly revealed that there would be no surprise victor. Pictures will be posted and even a Facebook page will be created to vote for Beardwar winner which I will post a link for once it has been sorted. All of this does mean though that as as of Wednesday I will be resuming normal grooming habits but not before I think that I shall have some fun coming up with designs for my face as I shave off the excess. I was thinking handle bar style mustache but November is the month for that I would quite like to keep my goatee as I tend to look about 12 with out it. Again if anything interesting emerges I will post some pics.

Night all, I will sleep deeply tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment