Saturday, February 20, 2010

Boston Warm-Up

Waking up today at well passed 9 o'clock and not having any driving to do what so ever was fantastic! After lounging around for most of the morning I decided to get us out of the house and to see a bit of Boston. I have been here before back in 2003 but I didn't take any photos on that holiday so I decided to correct that a little today.

The weather in Boston has warmed up a little over the last week and today it was showing at least a couple of degrees above freezing before the wind chill factor was added. I'm not overly bad about running in the cold (expect gloves, I need gloves even if there is a breeze) but the thought of going at a recreational pace and stopping to take photos meant that I dressed up in what I reserve for the coldest runs, mainly running tights. Few have seen me in running tights and never in daylight but needs must and all. So with me in hat, tights, two top layers and thick, thick gloves and Carolyn in a running skirt and long sleeve-tee we headed out. One block later I had removed the hat, two and the sleeves got rolled up, three and I was sweating, the gloves stayed on.

I must say it was actually cold if you stood still and the wind was nasty but the sun was out and when it was on you it felt great. I had intended to take us to Boston Common and back, a gentle 4 mile (6K) run, but after we got to the park and I had stopped a few times for some shots I pleaded my case to go on a little further and much to my surprise Carolyn easily agreed, I did say it was a nice day.

From the park we followed the red line on the ground the indicates the Freedom Trail that travels through Boston to highlight most of the historical places to do with the American Revolution. The line is a little bit worse for wear these days and we lost track of it several times but managed to pick it up at the key points, mainly the site of the Boston Massacre (a whole 5 people died) and the North End Church where they hung a lantern to let people know if the British forces were coming by land or sea. There are lots more we saw and the trail is well worth the time exploring if you are ever in Boston.


By the time we had got to the church the wind had picked up a little more and we both decided that hunger had won out and we should head back to the apartment. I have to say even though I had sort of lost track of the directions we had turned to get there, looking at the GPS route later, I think I did a pretty good ob of getting us back in a fairly straight line. I will say thought that is was no accident that we ended up going past the location where the Cheers bar was set for the popular TV series and I had to get a shot of me with the sign. The run ended up being more like 8 miles (12K) but well worth the extra distance.

After having this taster of running around Boston, I look forward even more to coming back for the marathon in the next couple of years. Boston has some great history and architecture and should be a great setting for keeping my mind of the 26.2 miles (42.2K).

The afternoon saw a bit more tourist stuff with us walking past the Christian Scientology Church and Copley Square with Trinity Church to name a couple. Also a trip to the Cheesecake Factory happened to fit into the schedule too.

After a day of running and walking, this evening seemed like a good time to take it easy so with a cinema only a couple of blocks away we went to see the Rom-Com 'When in Rome'. This was never going to be Oscar worthy stuff and the plot if not obvious from the trailer was blatant from the beginning but my tastes have never been that high and I enjoyed it for what it was and it passed the evening nicely.

I have now checked in for my flight back to the UK tomorrow evening via New York so I doubt I will post tomorrow but will be back hopefully on-line on Monday. I have been told to expect cold and snow when I land so I am interested to see what I'll find.

No comments:

Post a Comment